April is Earthquake Preparedness Month
LA Works, Irwindale, California
With the recent earthquakes in Indonesia, and one just this week in Southern California, we are reminded that we live in an area at risk of strong earthquakes. In fact, experts agree that California is past due for a strong quake - your best protection is to be prepared. Now is a good time to review your earthquake procedures and to check your emergency supplies and earthquake kits to make sure all is in order.
When the ground begins to shake ... Drop! Cover! Hold On!
During earthquakes, immediately DROP to the ground or floor before the earthquake drops you! Shaking may be so violent that you cannot walk or crawl - drop where you are. Earhtquakes occur without any warning and you never know if the initial jolt will turn out to be the start of a big one ... DROP before you know.
Take COVER under a sturdy desk or table (if no table - cover your head with your arms); the floor or ground could shake strongly sideways or out from under you so HOLD ON to the table/desk - even if it moves. (If no table - keep your head protected). Stay where you are until after the shaking stops. When the shaking stops move carefully. Don't run, there could be strong aftershocks or broken glass/fallen items blocking your exit.
Stocking up now on emergency supplies can add to your safety and comfort during and after an earthquake. Make sure you have enough supplies to last 72 hours:
• Water – 1 gallon per person per day (a week's supply of water is preferable)
• Water purification kit
• First aid kit, freshly stocked
• First aid book
• Can Opener (non-electric)
• Blankets or sleeping bags
• Portable radio, flashlight, and spare batteries
• Essential medication
• Extra pair of eyeglasses
• Extra set of car & house keys
• Fire extinguisher: A-B-C type
• Cash and change
• Food, water, and restraint (leash or carrier) for pets
• Baby supplies: Formula, bottle, pacifier, soap and baby powder, disposable diapers, baby wipes, clothing, blankets, canned food, and juices
For more information about LA Works, contact:
Sandy Meza, Public Relations and Marketing Specialist
(626) 960-3964 ext. 2224